5 Simple and Healthy Dinners for College Students
These nutritious meals are quick and easy to make.
Adobe Stock Photo
Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
- 4 small sweet- or red-skinned potatoes
- 1 package frozen microwavable vegetables
Wash and poke holes in potatoes. Microwave two at a time for three minutes. Turn over and microwave two more minutes or until soft.
Carve one portion of chicken. Microwave vegetables according to package.
Teriyaki Stir Fry
- 1 package of store-bought
- ready-made chicken strips
- 1 bottle teriyaki sauce
- 2 packages of microwavable
- stir-fry vegetables
- 2 (boil-in) bags of rice
Microwave vegetables and drain. Cook rice according to package. Place chicken in large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and enough teriyaki sauce to coat chicken. Serve over rice.
Makes six servings.
Breakfast for Dinner
- 16 ounces liquid egg substitute
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach or steamed broccoli
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
Coat large skillet with cooking spray; heat to medium-high. Scramble egg substitute plus two eggs. Blend in spinach or broccoli. Toast bread. Serve with apple butter or jam.
Adobe Stock Photo
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne pasta
- 15-oz. can of black beans
- 1 large bag of frozen, chopped peppers and onions
- 1 large jar of salsa
- 16 oz. shredded 2-percent reduced-fat Mexican cheese
Cook pasta according to package. Add peppers and onions during the last three minutes of cooking. Drain
In a large mixing bowl, combine salsa with pasta, peppers, onions and beans (rinsed and drained). Stir in half of the cheese.
Coat a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the mixture in dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake at 350 degrees, or microwave until hot and cheese is melted.
Makes eight servings.
Spicy Italian Chicken and Peppers
- 1 package of store-bought ready-made chicken strips
- 2 large peppers (green and red), seeded and sliced.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 8 whole-grain tortilla wraps
Coat large sauté pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Place onions and peppers in pan and cook until soft and slightly charred. Remove to plate.
Add chicken pieces and Italian dressing and stir. Gradually add chili power, stirring in more dressing and chili powder as desired. Add peppers and onions. Mix well. Serve with tortilla wraps.
Makes four servings.