Q&A: SpeakUp!’s Martie Bernicker
The executive director of the St. Davids-based nonprofit shares her five favorite things.
Martie Bernicker, executive director of SpeakUp!
Martie Bernicker’s mother began SpeakUp! in 2000, after her son, Bob, lost his battle with AIDS at age 30. Bob’s outward demeanor didn’t give much away, but he struggled internally. Today, Bernicker is the executive director of the St. Davids-based nonprofit, which promotes open communication between teenagers and the adults in their lives.
Martie Bernicker's Five Favorite Things
1. Pietro’s Pizza. “I like the atmosphere, and they have incredible grilled chicken.”
2. The Lucky One. “I’m a hopeless romantic.”
3. Radnor High School football. “I’m just so thrilled to be part of this community.”
4. First Watch. “I get ‘The Traditional’—eggs, turkey bacon, toast.”
5. Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle. “It’s about gangs and compassion and redemption.”