What Parents Need to Know About Autism
The CDC’s latest report shows who’s at risk.
Edit ModuleShow Tags
- One in 68 8-year-olds is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.
- Boys are 4.5 times more likely to be identified with ASD than girls.
- White children are more likely to be diagnosed with ASD than black or Hispanic children.
- Forty-four percent of kids with ASD have average or above-average intellectual ability.
- The percentage of children identified with ASD did not change significantly between 2010 and 2012.
- ASD can be diagnosed as early as age 2, but most children are not diagnosed until after age 4.
- About 43% of children identified with ASD were evaluated for developmental concerns by age 3.
- An estimated 500,000 to 1 million American children ages 6-17 live with ASD.