EPICURE: Chef Central
From the Kitchen of Alba Chef Sean Weinberg
Grilled Hanger Steak with Panzanella (Tuscan-style Tomato-bread Salad)
Sean Weinberg, Restaurant Alba
7 West King St., Malvern
(610) 644-4009, restaurantalba.com
• 4 6-ounce portions of hanger steak
• 1 tbsp. garlic
• 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 6 medium, ripe tomatoes cut into sixths
• 1 red onion quartered and sliced
• 5 cups crustless Tuscan bread, cubed and lightly toasted
• ¼ cup red wine vinegar
• ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 bunch basil leaves, torn
• ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
• Juice from ½ lemon
• Marinate steaks with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and a touch of oil, 12-24 hours.
• Marinate red onion in vinegar and oil, six to 24 hours.
• Toss all salad ingredients except basil and let sit 30 minutes.
• Season to taste and crush lightly with hands.
• Grill steaks seven to nine minutes over low to medium heat. (Hanger is best cooked medium rare and no more than medium.)
• Let steak sit three to five minutes.
• Add basil to salad.
• Slice steak against the grain.