Chadds Ford and Kennett Square
It was at the property of John Chads in then-Birmingham Township that the Brandywine River turned shallow, allowing 18th-century travelers along the ancestral road of U.S. Route 1 to cross. When water levels rose and submerged the ford, the enterprising Chad operated a ferry to secure passage. When the Redcoats and the Continentals dueled here in 1777, General George Washington hoped to divert British troops to other fords along the Brandywine, but he eventually found his army outflanked and retreated. A depiction of the battle by illustrator Howard Pyle hangs in the Brandywine River Museum, the legacy of his star student, N.C. Wyeth, and succeeding generations of Wyeths, Andrew and Jamie.