Private Schools Guide 2012: Public Service
Civic involvement takes center stage at these Main Line schools.
• Junior and senior year at Merion Mercy Academy, about 40 percent of students participate in volunteer programs that reach out to struggling regions in Kentucky, Arizona and other states.
• Members of the Episcopal Academy community have traveled as far as Africa and Haiti to provide aid in poverty-stricken areas.
• This past summer, Academy of Notre Dame de Namur students and their parents hosted a “Lose the Training Wheels” camp, where children with disabilities learn to ride two-wheeled bicycles.
• Devon Prep’s Christian Action Program sponsors food, clothing and school-supply drives, fundraisers for the fight against childhood cancers, and various other projects. And several times a year, students travel to Eastern Kentucky to assist Appalachian families.
• Students at Friends’ Central School have gone on safari in Tanzania and explored the Inca trail in Peru. One spent half of her sophomore year in Russia.
• All Malvern Prep students participate in the Christian Service Program, working directly with those in need. Seniors volunteer with Augustinian charities nationwide and abroad in South Africa, Peru, Armenia, Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.